Socket is a Missouri-based telecommunications provider, with its headquarters in Columbia, Missouri . Socket is a privately held company and provides local and long-distance phone service, DSL and fiber-optic internet, and data solutions to residents and businesses across Missouri.
Founded in 1994 by George Pfenenger and John Dupuy  , Socket Internet quickly became the largest local internet provider in Missouri  . In 2001 Inc. (magazine) ranked Socket Internet 136th on its list of America’s Top 500 Fastest-Growing Privately Held Companies, an award it would win three times.  Also in 2001, Technology Fast 50 Ranked Socket 4th in The Fast 50, which recognizes the fastest growing technology companies in a given geographic area. In 2004, Socket expanded into the telephone industry, offering business telephone and networking services.
In 2008, the company started offering residential services in select markets. Socket now provides DSL internet to most of Missouri.
In 2010, Socket was awarded $ 23.7 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 to deploy a fiber-to-home network in Callaway County . Fiber Internet service being installed in May 2012. The project is expected to have a major impact in Millersburg, MO and Callaway County where residents are limited to dial-up and satellite Internet options .
The company offers Internet services  .
Originally located near the west end of Business Loop 70 in Columbia, MO, the company is heading to Glenn’s Cafe and the Tiger Hotel .
In early 2007, Socket moved to their current headquarters at 2703 Clark Lane in Columbia, the site of the Boyce & Bynum Pathology Laboratories  . They have added offices in St. Peters, MO and Jefferson City, MO .
Socket was a sponsor of the short-lived Mid-Missouri Mavericks , a minor league baseball team, through the 2004 & 2005 seasons  . The sponsorship ended with the dissolution of the team in early 2006.
Socket is a current sponsor of Missouri Tigers football and Missouri Tigers men’s basketball , including the Socket Post-Game Show with Mike Kelly  .
- Jump up^ “About Us | Socket” . Socket – Internet Broadband, DSL, Phone Services in Missouri . Retrieved 2017-09-20 .
- Jump up^ “Socket: A Future Fibrous – Columbia Business TimesColumbia Business Times” . columbiabusinesstimes.com . Retrieved 2017-09-20 .
- Jump up^ “Inc.com Profile – Socket” . Inc . Retrieved 9 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Socket – Internet & Phone | Your Missouri Internet Provider” . Socket – Internet Broadband, DSL, Phone Services in Missouri . Retrieved 2017-09-20 .
- Jump up^ “Socket Moves to New Company Headquarters” . Socket . January 10, 2007 . Retrieved 9 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Mid-Missouri Mavericks – Sponsors” . 3 June 2004.
- Jump up^ “Missouri Sports Properties and Socket Announce Partnership Extension” . MU Tigers.com . August 15, 2012.