OrionVM Wholesale Pty Limited (trading as OrionVM )   is an Australian infrastructure as a service provider and a white-label cloud platform. Resellers present customers with a rebranded interface for deploying virtual machine instances, which are only billed for what their customers use. Cloud Harmony Benchmarked the OrionVM Cloud Platform’s InfiniBand -backed network storage as the world’s fastest in 2011. 
The company was founded in Sydney , Australia ,   with offices in San Francisco , California . 
OrionVM was founded in a dorm by Sheng Yeo,  Alex Sharp  and Joseph Glanville in 2010.  The company’s cloud platform was developed while the founders were still students at the University of Technology, Sydney and University of Sydney .  After 15 months of development, their cloud platform entered a Public Beta program, with a full launch on April 1, 2011. 
In 2011 the company received angel investments from Australian entrepreneur and PIPE Networks co-founder Stephen Baxter   and American Gordon Bell of December and Microsoft Research .  
For his work at OrionVM, CEO Sheng Yeo was nominated for the 2012 Australian Entrepreneur of the Year  and the 2013 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year. 
In 2014, OrionVM received a National Merit Award and a National Finalist nomination in the 2014 iAwards, with CTO Alex Sharp winning the YIA Hills Cloud award.  The company was nominated for a Stevie Award for New Product or Service of the Year in Cloud Infrastructure Software,  and an Australian Startup Award nomination. 
In 2016, Yeo and Sharp were named in the Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia list. 
OrionVM sells a wholesale cloud infrastructure platform for public , private cloud and hybrid cloud deployments. Vendors can white-label the platform for resale, or for internal use.  Prominent resellers include:
- Australian telephone company AAPT   
- BizCloud 
- IT broker StrataCore. 
OrionVM uses the Xen hypervisor to virtualise multiple machines (referred to as “instances”) on the same hardware.  Linux instances use paravirtualization for reduced overhead by default, with Windows Server being deployed using hardware-assisted virtualization ( HVM ).
Traditional virtual private server and infrastructure as a service providers consolidate storage into a storage area network , qui est limited by Ethernet network speeds and best-effort reliability. OrionVM’s platform took design from the supercomputers by placing hypervisor storage and compute on the same physical servers .  These are backed by a decentralised InfiniBand fabric .  This improves network reliability and performance, and allows for rapid rollover between physical hosts for high availability.
To end users, the base of the platform consists of a web panel , where customers are able to deploy virtual machines. For resellers, the logos and theme can be modified to suit their own branding. 
From the panel, users can deploy preconfigured instances with their chosen operating system and required memory . Additional storage disks and IP addresses can be created separately, then assigned to new or existing instances. After shutting down, further resources can be allocated or scaled down .  
Instances can be accessed out-of-band via a web-based serial console or VNC session. Access is also available via ovm_ctl, an open source interface from GitHub  and the pip package manager . 
Linux machines come preconfigured with SSH , and Windows with RDP for remote access .
Instances can be provisioned from a series of predefined templates, which can be customized if required. They include: 
- CentOS 
- Debian Linux
- Slackware Linux
- Ubuntu Server ( long-term support releases )
- Microsoft Windows Server 
Vyatta templates are officially supported for software-defined logical networking between instances.
A public API exists for controlling instances. Open source Python bindings are available on GitHub . 
- cloud computing
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Current details for ABN: 85142053870” . Australian Business Registry . February 16, 2010 . Retrieved 2 September 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “ORIONVM WHOLESALE PTY LTD ACN 142 053 870” . Australian Securities and Investments Commission . February 15, 2010 . Retrieved 2 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “OrionVM Wholesale Cloud Superstructure” . CrunchBase . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “OrionVM Breakthrough Expands IaaS Platform Into US” . Cloud Computing Journal . March 25, 2014 . Retrieved 20 May 2014 . missing in Authors list ( help )
- Jump up^ “OrionVM Cloud Platform” . SalesIntel . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Falconer, Joel (1 April 2011). “Sydney start-up OrionVM is developing world’s fastest cloud storage” . The Next Web . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Rose, Gareth (April 5, 2011). “Australian Startup Launch: OrionVM” . ipitch . Retrieved 2 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Get In Touch” . OrionVM . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Sheng Yeo – Future Makers 2013” . Smart Startup . November 7, 2013 . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Student Startups” . INCUBATE . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Wilson, David (7 July 2011). “Giant-killers: the boy wonders edging out Amazon” . Sydney Morning Herald – My Small Business . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Yeo, Sheng (April 1, 2010). “Australian Cloud Start-up Orion VM Develops the Fastest Cloud Storage Platform in the World” . WhaTech . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Hammond, Michelle (16 November 2011). “OrionVM secures funding from entrepreneur duo” . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Talevski, Julia (22 April 2013). “AAPT selects OrionVM as wholesale cloud platform: First major wholesale customer for OrionVM” .
- Jump up^ Winterford, Brett (15 November 2011). “Gordon Bell invests in OrionVM” . iTNews . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ “OrionVM Wholesale Cloud Superstructure – Investors” . CrunchBase . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Nominees announced for 2012 Australian Entrepreneur Of The Year awards” . May 15, 2012 . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Hills YIA Cloud” . iAwards. 29 August 2014 . Retrieved 4 September2014 .
- Jump up^ “2014 New Product Awards & Product Management Stevie® Award Winners” . Stevie Awards. 2014 . Retrieved 4 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “StartUp Daily Startup of the Year Finalists” . July 23, 2014 . Retrieved 4 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “30 Under 30 2016 Asia: Enterprise Tech” . Forbes . Retrieved 2017-02-14 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “OrionVM” . GitHub . Retrieved 27 June 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Guest VM images – OrionVM PV-HVM Templates” . Xen Project . 2012-04-01 . Retrieved 2014-06-27 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “ovm-ctl – OrionVM Command Line API Bindings” . PyPi . Retrieved 2 September 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tsidilko Joseph (22 April 2014). “Aussie Cloud Firm OrionVM Enters US Market With White-Label Partner Offering” . CRN . Retrieved 26 May2014 .
- Jump up^ Gliddon, Joshua (22 April 2013). “AAPT signs with OrionVM for public cloud” . CRN Australia . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Him, Spandas (22 April 2013). “IaaS provider nabs AAPT as first wholesale customer” . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Tsidulko, Joseph (6 June 2014). “Australian Cloud Vendor OrionVM Inks Partnership With San Francisco-Based BizCloud” . CRN . Retrieved 27 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ Macpherson, Sholto (30 April 2014). “How OrionVM took on the might of Amazon Web Services” . Retrieved 26 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ Business Wire (21 January 2013). “OrionVM Enterprise Selects Mellanox InfiniBand for their Private and Public Clouds” . The Motley Fool . Retrieved 20 May 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Features” . OrionVM Australia . 2014 . Retrieved 2 September2014 .
- Jump up^ “Quick Reference Page” . Michael Kubler . Retrieved 2 September2011 .
- Jump up^ “Mirror” . OrionVM . Retrieved 2 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The perfect world: Installing OpenVZ inside an OrionVM CentOS 5.5 Xen Instance” . Rabbie.id.au . November 20, 2011 . Retrieved 2 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Windows can be provisioned through the @orionvm console! Ping us if you are interested. ^ SY” . Twitter . December 5, 2011.