Linode is an American privately owned virtual private server provider company based in Galloway, New Jersey , United States . 
Linode (a portmanteau of the words Linux and node ) was founded by Christopher Aker, launching in mid 2003. 
Linode transitioned from UML to Xen virtualization in March 2008, And Then to KVM in mid-2015. It launched its data backup service in 2009.  NodeBalancer, a load-balancing service, launched in July 2011. Linode released Linode Managed, an incident response service designed for businesses, in 2013. 
Its Dallas, Texas and Fremont, California data centers opened in 2003. Linode also opened in Atlanta, Georgia data center in 2007; in Newark, New Jersey-based center in 2008; its London, England center in 2009; in Tokyo, Japan center in 2011;  Frankfurt, Germany  and Singapore  data centers in 2015. On November 21, 2016 Linode announced the opening of a second data center in Tokyo  as the other data center in the region sold out.
Products and services
Linode offers multiple products and services for its customers.   Its flagship products are cloud-hosting services.  Linode Backup allows customers to backup their servers on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.  Linode Manager and NodeBalancer both allow users to manage multiple server instances across a single system.  In September 2013, Linode launched Longview, an analysis package for Linux.     
The accounts of eight customers who held Bitcoin electronic currency were compromised in March 2012.   Roughly 40,000 bitcoins were stolen.  
Hack The Planet accessed the Linode’s web servers in 2013.    The group exploited a technical vulnerability in Adobe’s ColdFusion application server .   Linode said that HTP could not decipher any financial information and reset all account passwords.   Linode announced plans to introduce two-step authentication for its services in May 2013. 
Starting Christmas Day 2015 and continuing until January 10th, Linotype was hit by large and frequent DDoS attacks, which were caused by a “bad actor” purchasing large amounts of botnet capacity in an attempt to significantly damage Linode’s business.  Linode was the victim of another severe DDoS attack over the 2016 Labor Day weekend. 
- cloud computing
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “It’s clear to Linode: There’s a market to bring Cloud services to small companies” . New Jersey Business Journal . Retrieved 21 Nov2013 .
- Jump up^ “About us”,Linode. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Jump up^ “Introducing Linodes in Frankfurt!” . “Linode” . Retrieved 23 Aug 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Singapore Linodes are now available!” . “Linode” . Retrieved 13 May2016 .
- Jump up^ “New data center: Tokyo 2” . “Linode”.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Adobe Patches Critical Vulnerabilities in Flash Player Coldfusion”. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013 .
- Jump up^ Bernstein, Peter. (September 5, 2013). “Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance”. TechZone 360. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Jump up^ Jack Clark (September 6, 2013). “Linode adds analytics package to Linux cloud” . The Register . Retrieved September 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Peter Bernstein (September 5, 2013). “Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance” . Tech Zone 360 . Retrieved September 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Nicole Henderson (September 5, 2013). “Linode Longview Launches for Linux Statistics Collection and Graphing Server” . The Whir . Retrieved September 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ John Maxwell (September 6, 2013). “Linode Releases Longview, New Linux Statistics Server Collection And Graphing Service” . Best Web Hosting 2GB. Archived from the original on September 22, 2013 . Retrieved September 27, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Matonis, Jon. “Watch Bitcoin Robbery in Slow Motion” . Forbes . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Leyden, John. “Linode hackers escape with $ 70K in daring bitcoin heist” . The Register . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Lee, Michael. “VPS host Linode issues customer-wide password reset” . ZDNet . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dumon, Marv. “Amazon Launches Cloud Computing Certification Program – Page 2” . Technorati . Archived from the original on 3 December 2013 . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Leyden, John. “Web host Linode, hackers clash over credit-card raid claim” . The Register . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ Bandoim, Lana. “Two-Step Authentication Grows in Popularity” . Yahoo! Voices . Archived from the original on 9 June 2013 . Retrieved 18 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ Forster, Alex. “An update from Linode about the recent DDoS attacks”. Linode . Linode . Retrieved January 1, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Cimpanu, Catalin. ” ” Catastrophic “DDoS Attack Linus Pummels Servers Over Labor Day Weekend” .