Hetzner Online GmbH is an Internet hosting company and data center operator based in Gunzenhausen, Germany .
It should not be confessed with its South African namesake and partner company, Hetzner (Pty) Ltd – the two companies are registered under the applicable laws. They do not have the same shareholders.
Hetzner Online GmbH ( Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung ) began operations in Germany in 1997  under the name Hetzner Online Services. Between 2000 and 2015, Hetzner Online in German operated under the legal status AG (“Aktiengesellschaft”). In 2015, it changed its legal status to GmbH .
The company is named after its founder Martin Hetzner. Hetzner Online owns and operates two data centers in Nuremberg  and Falkenstein / Vogtland (Germany).  It is currently building a data center in Tuusula, located near Helsinki, Finland.   In addition, Hetzner Online is a co-investor in the Cinia C-Lion project, which connected Helsinki and Rostock, Germany together with a 1,100 km long submarine fiberglass cable. This cable will provide a high-speed connection between Hetzner’s German data centers and the one under construction in Finland.  
In 2017, Hetzner Online celebrates its 20th anniversary with a multi-day event at its data center park in Falkenstein. The event, “Willkommen im Internet”, included technical workshops, a tour of the facility, and a public, open-air concert by Austrian singer, Christina Stürmer. 
The head office of Hetzner Online is based in Gunzenhausen , Bavaria , Germany. It has a partner company in South Africa : Hetzner South Africa (Pty.) Ltd.  which operates data centers in Midrand   and Cape Town(South Africa).  
Hetzner Online provides dedicated hosting , shared web hosting , virtual private servers , managed servers , domain names , SSL certificates , storage boxes  , and cloud solutions. At the data center parks Located in Nuremberg and Falkenstein, customers can connect aussi Their hardware to Hetzner Online’s energy-efficient and state of the art infrastructure and network with the company’s roommate services.  The company operates online auction site where older servers are sold in the form of a Dutch auction . [ quote needed ]
Hetzner Online has a domain name registrar arrangement with ICANN (for registering domains under .com , .net and .org and others),  DENIC (for .de ),  and nic.at (for .at ). 
Hetzner Online’s datacenter projects are coordinated and implemented in-house with as little outsourcing as possible. Data center units served by multiple redundant uplinks, including 300 Gbps to DE-CIX and fiber optic links to Nuremberg and Frankfurt . Colocation facilities are located in Nuremberg and Falkenstein / Vogtland in Germany. 
Energy for normal operations at the data center is used exclusively from renewable sources ( hydropower ). In the German data center, this energy is provided by NaturEngergie AG.   In addition the company strives to conserve energy with its use of direct cooling, double-height raised floor , energy-consumption-based components of waste-energy, and intelligent lighting solutions. In 2011, TÜV SÜD certified Hetzner’s data centers as an “Energy Efficient Enterprise”. 
To prevent possible faults caused by problems with the electrical network, Hetzner Online obtains its power in a redundant manner from the network provider. The current is fed from the neighbor transforming station to the redundant transformers via two separate lines. The A / B busbar concept, in conjunction with the use of static transfer switches (STS), ensures a higher availability of the power supply. The redundant modular UPS system is able to secure the complete power supply in the case of a module failure. In the event of a power failure, a diesel generator takes over the entire power supply of the data center. In addition, a battery monitoring system permanently monitors the condition of the battery packs. 
Direct free cooling is used for cooling IT hardware. In contrast to conventional air cooling. If the outdoor temperature rises, the system automatically switches to air compressors. The cold air is then directed to the air of the servers via the raised floors. This is made possible by cold aisle containment, in which the currents of cold and warm air are separated and deliberately channeled in specific directions. The warm air in the corridors and the ceiling of the data center are channeled through the roof in a concentrated manner. The remaining “waste heat” is not wasted. In fact, it is used to heat offices. This system, which was designed in house, not only effecitvely cools the hardware;
The backbone is set up in the form of a ring network between the data centers Nuremberg and Falkenstein as well as the most important Internet rental, Frankfurt. DE-CIX, AMS-IX, DATA-IX and V-IX via the company’s own fiber optic network. 
The entire infrastructure of the data centers is permanently monitored. If system failures occur, these technicians are immediately alerted via various communication channels. An early fire detection system allows smoke to be detected at an early stage. Special door and locking systems, identity checks and extensive surveillance surveillance against unauthorized access. In addition, the data center is well-known by the qualified staff. 
Energy Efficiency Monitoring System
An extensive array of measuring devices enables the Hetzner Online team to closely monitor energy consumption and analyze the quality of the power network in real time. The system measures power consumption 24/7 at different intervals at all levels in the data center and sends warnings if it finds anomalies. A remote-readable software calculates important key figures, such as PUE / EER, and identifies optimization potentials.
Hetzner Online GmbH has established and implemented an appropriate information security management system (ISMS). Hetzner Online utilizes the ISMS in its infrastructure and complete operations for the data center in the Nuremberg and Falkenstein locations. FOX Certification, third party certification authority, audited Hetzner Online’s data center for the certification process. The datacenter parks are thus certified in accordance with ISO / IEC 27001 .
This certification confirms that Hetzner Online will uphold strict information security standards. It states that Hetzner Online provides up-to-standard systems for security management, data security, data privacy and availability of IT systems. The certificate proves adequate security management, data security, confidentiality of information and availability of IT systems. It also confirms that the safety standards are continuously improved and sustainably monitored.  
Hetzner Online is a sponsor of a variety of humanitarian and educational charities. Sponsoring activities in the past include Habitat for Humanity Germany and their building projects in Africa.  In 2010, Hetzner Online donated to the 2010 World Cup 2010 to the Youth Build Project 2010.  In 2012 Habitat for Humanity Germany boss, actress Alexandra Neldel traveled to Mozambique and South Africa to learn more about Hetzner Online’s projects. The company received the Habitat for Humanity Corporate Partnership Award in 2012.  In addition, Hetzner Online has sponsored several non-profit organizations located in the communities near its data center parks.
In June 2013, Hetzner Online has been compromised by Hetzner Online’s monitoring systems.  
Russian complaints about Glavcom.ua
In early August 2014, the Russian Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media (Roskomnadzor) feels a demand to many news agencies, Including BBC , Prohibiting Any mention of the demonstration That Was being white Arranged in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk in support of the federalization of Siberia.   A number of such messages were sent to Ukraine, which was in the midst of an undeclared war with Russian paramilitary in Donetsk region . Since the Ukrainian online newspapers did not remove the article, Roskomnadzor sent letters to their Internet. Hetzner Online is complying with the requirements of this article, and is saying “Please solve the problem and reply to the 24 hours to avoid suspension.” This is the final deadline. 
This story was widely reprinted in news sources.  Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement expressing solidarity with glavcom.ua owners and journalists. Vassily Zvarych, Deputy Head of the Department of Foreign Ministry, gave a press conference that he was surprised by Hetzner Online’s compliance with the Russian complaint.  Also, a German chapter of Reporters Without Borders issued a statement condemning Roskomnadzor. 
The notes to suspend Glavcom.ua were issued by Hetzner Online August 6, 2014; on August 10 Hetzner Online issued apologies, denying that any censorship was planned and that their technical support made to wrong decision, which they regret.  However, by that time the story was widely published in German mass media,  and Glavcom.ua already migrated from Hetzner Online to another hosting provider.  
In 2013, an Estonian anti- spam activist Tõnu Samuel posted a blog entry about an alleged spammer Silver Teede on his website no.spam.ee. In retaliation, Teede wrote a complaint to the blog ‘s service provider, Hetzner Online, which is to terminate services for the blog. In an ensuing court case, Estonian courts found the complaints to be baseless and Samuel Awarded damages for the loss de son servers.   
blocking “Novaya Gazeta”
On January 11, 2016, Hetzner blocked the St. Petersburg site of Novaya Gazeta , the leading oppositional, non-governmental newspaper in Russia .  The newspaper marked the act as a political censorship without any legal procedure. 
- 2007 eco Internet Award, “Verband der deutschen Internetwirtschaft” (Association of the Internet Industry) 
- 2007 Bayerns best 50
- 2011 Green IT Best Practice Award  
- 2011 eco Internet Award, Association of German Internet Industry 
- 2012 funkschau journal Carrier & Provider Award 
- 2012 WELT PC Trade Technology Press Winner Brand Awareness International 
- 2012 Bavaria’s Best 50 fastest growing businesses in Bavaria 
- 2012 Shortlisted for 5th European Data Centers 2012 Awards 
- 2012 Finalist Datacenterdynamics EMEA Awards 2012 
- 2013 Funkschau Journal “Carrier & Provider Award 
- 2013 Shortlisted for International Datacentre & Cloud Awards 2013 
- 2014 PC WELT Brand of the Year Winner Brand Awareness International 
- 2015 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Award; “Sustained Excellence Award” 
- 2015 “Carrier and Provider of the Year” Funkschau Leserwahl (Reader’s Choice) Award 
- 2015 Bayerns Best 50 Award 
- 2016 Hosting Awards 
- 2016 European Business Award 
- 2017 Hosting Award in the “VPS / vServer” category  
Memberships in trade organizations
- DENIC central registry of all domains under the country code .de 
- Eco – Association of the Internet Industry ( de )  
- ICANN Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers 
- RIPE NCC Regional Internet Registry for Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia 
- nic.at domain name registry for the top-level domain .at 
- Jump up^ “Company Overview of Hetzner Online AG” . Businessweek . Retrieved 19 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ Beatrix Taggart (17 May 2013). “Hetzner Online shortlisted as” New Datacentre of the Year “at the 6th International Datacentre Awards . Daily Host News.
- Jump up^ Nicole Henderson (1 February 2013). “Web Host Hetzner Online Adds Colocation Services to Two German Data Centers” . Web Host Industry Review.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner sets foot in Finland” . Good News from Finland / Finnfacts . Retrieved 21 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Hetzner constructs a data center park in Tuusula, Finland” . Finpro . Retrieved 21 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Submarine Data Cable to Link Germany and Finland” . eco . Retrieved 21 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Cinia Full Submarine Data Cable to Link Germany and Finland” . Cinea . Retrieved 21 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Welcome To The Internet – 20 years Hetzner Online 2017” . YouTube. Retrieved 21 November 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “ict Hetzner opens second data center in Cape Town” . Dynamics Datacenter. September 3, 2006.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner starts on massive new data center” . BusinessTech. 2 July 2013.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner’s new data center taking shape: photos” . MyBroadband. August 15, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner grows Cape Town DC” . MyBroadband. September 5, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Storage Boxes” .
- Jump up^ “About us” .
- Jump up^ “ICANN-Accredited Registrars” .
- Jump up^ “List of DENIC Members” .
- Jump up^ “Registrar-List” . nic.at.
- Jump up^ “Data centers” . 2017-11-21.
- Jump up^ “Zertifikat verlliehen an Hetzner Online AG” Certificate presented to Hetzner Online AG ” ” (PDF) . Hetzner Online GmbH. November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner Online is taking responsibility and protecting the environment” . Hetzner Online GmbH. November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “TÜV SÜD awarded the ‘Energy Efficient Enterprise – Data Center’ certificate to Hetzner Online’s data center park . TÜV SÜD. 1 July 2011.
- Jump up^ “Secure Power Supply” . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Efficient Cooling”. 21 November 2017.
- Jump up^ “Secure Modern Network Infrastructure” . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Hetzner Online IT Security” . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Establishing trust through security” (PDF) . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Fox Certification” (PDF) . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ Habitat for Humanity Germany
- Jump up^ Zeleni Hosting (10 January 2012). “Check for 148.000 Euro to welfare organization” . Zeleni Hosting.
- Jump up^ Hetzner Online AG Auszeichnung für beispielhaftes soziales Commitment
- Jump up^ Fabian Scherschel (7 June 2013). “Hetzner web hosting service hacked, customer data copied” . The H .
- Jump up^ Nicole Henderson (7 June 2013). “Hetzner Security Breach Exposes Customer Passwords, Payment Information” . Web Host Industry Review.
- Jump up^ BBC: “Блог редактора: Артем Лоскутов и” федерализация Сибири “
- Jump up^ BBC World Service statement regarding interview with Artem Loskutov
- Jump up^ Bloomberg: Ukraine in ‘Undeclared War’ With Russia as Rebels Unite
- Jump up^ Немцы заблокируют “Главком” за то, что он не удалил статью по требованию Роскомнадзора
- Jump up^ Webhoster Hetzner: Deutsche Firma hilft russischer Medienaufsicht bei Zensur
- Jump up^ МИД Украины удивлен позицией немецкого хостера, согласившевося с Роскомнадзором
- Jump up^ Russische Zensurversuche im Ausland
- Jump up^ Human rights in Ukraine: Glavkom will not be allowed to block
- Jump up^ “The Truth About Hetzner Censoring Glavcom” . root-services.net. August 9, 2014.
- Jump up^ Роскомсвобода: Немецкий хостер хотел заблокировать украинский сайт по требованию Роскомнадзора, но извинился
- Jump up^ Glavcom.ua: Немецкий хостер отказался блокировать «Главком» и извинился перед редакцией
- Jump up^ Hans Lõugas (29 October 2013). “Laimaja peab sotsiaalmeedias vabandust paluma” . Eesti Päevaleht .
- Jump up^ Sander Silm (28 October 2013). “Netilaimaja peab maksma Tõnu Samuelile 11 150 eurot” . Õhtuleht .
- Jump up^ Silver Meikar (17 June 2013). “Silver Meikar: avatus ja läbipaistvus taastaks usalduse” . Postimees .
- Jump up^ Немецкий провайдер заблокировал сайт «Новой газеты в Петербурге»
- Jump up^ Осторожно, цензура!
- Jump up^ “eco Gala 2007” (in German), eco – Verband der Internetwirtschaft eV . Retrieved 2017-11-14
- Jump up^ Zeleni Hosting (24 January 2012). “GreenIT Best Practice Award 2011” . Zeleni Hosting.
- Jump up^ 2011 Green IT Best Practice Award
- Jump up^ Zeleni Hosting (16 January 2012). “Top eco Internet award for best German hosting provider” . Zeleni Hosting.
- Jump up^ HostSearch (28 August 2012). “German IT Journal Hetzner Names Online Top Internet Provider for 2012” . HostSearch.
- Jump up^ HostSearch (29 October 2012). “PC-WELT Readers Vote Hetzner Online Technology Winner 2012” . HostSearch.
- Jump up^ Carsten Bernhard (8 July 2012). “Wirtschaftsminister: Hetzner als” Bayerns Best 50 “ausgezeichnet” . webhostlist.de.
- Jump up^ Datacentres.com (23 May 2012). “Data Centers Europe Announces 5th Annual Awards Shortlist” . Datacentres.com.
- Jump up^ Ambrose McNevin (26 November 2012). “DatacenterDynamics EMEA Awards 2012 Finalists” . Datacentre Dynamics.
- Jump up^ Zeleni Hosting (18 January 2013). “Hetzner Online gewinnt erneut bei Deutschlands größter Leserumfrage” . Zeleni Hosting.
- Jump up^ Beatrix Taggart (17 May 2013). “Hetzner Online shortlisted as” New Datacentre of the Year “at the 6th International Datacentre Awards . Zeleni Hosting.
- Jump up^ HostSearch (8 July 2014). “Hetzner Online Web Hosting Provider is PC-WELT’s” Brand of the Year 2014 ” ” . HostSearch.
- Jump up^ Deloitte (30 March 2016). “Preisträger Technology Fast 50” . Deloitte.
- Jump up^ Hetzner Online (30 March 2016). “Awards” . Hetzner Online.
- Jump up^ Bayerische Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft und Medien, Energie und Technologie (30 March 2016). “Awards”. Bayerische Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft und Medien, Energie und Technologie.
- Jump up^ Vogel IT Medien (13 May 2016). “Hetzner Online was awarded the” Platinum “Reader’s Choice Hosting Award in the” Dedicated Server “category” . Vogel IT Medien.
- Jump up^ “The European Business Awards” (in German) . Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Jump up^ Vogel Business Media GmbH & Co. KG (in German), HOSTING AWARDS: das sind die strahlenden Gewinner . Retrieved 2017-11-14
- Jump up^ “Auszeichnungen – Hetzner Online GmbH” (in German) . Retrieved 2017-11-15 .
- Jump up^ “List of memebers” . 2017-11-21.
- Jump up^ “eco homepage” . 2017-11-21.
- Jump up^ “Unsere Mitgleider (eco)” . November 21, 2017.
- Jump up^ “ICANN-Accredited Registrars” . 2017-11-21.
- Jump up^ “Local Internet Registries offering service in Germany” . 2017-11-21.
- Jump up^ “Overview of all nic.at registrars” . 2017-11-21.