Gale is an educational publishing company based in Farmington Hills, Michigan ,  in the western suburbs of Detroit . Since 2007 it has been a division of Cengage Learning .
The company, formerly known as Gale Research and the Gale Group , is active in research and educational publishing for public , academic , and school libraries , and businesses. The company is known for its full-text magazine and newspaper databases, InfoTrac , and other online databases subscribed by libraries, as well as multi-volume reference works, especially in the areas of religion , history , and social science .
Founded in Detroit, Michigan in 1954 by Frederick Gale Ruffner , the Thomson Corporation (as a part of the Thomson Learning division) in 1985  before its 2007 sale to Cengage.
In 1999, Thomson Gale acquired Macmillan Reference USA (including Scribner’s Reference, Thorndike Press, Schirmer, Twayne Publishers, and GK Hall ) from Pearson (which had acquired it from Simon & Schuster in 1998; Macmillan USA was purchased by Simon & Schuster in 1994 ). In 2000 it acquired the Munich- based KG Saur Verlag , but then sold it to Walter de Gruyter in 2006.
On October 25, 2006 Thomson Corporation announced that it was intended for wholly divest the Thomson Learning division, because, in the words of Thomson CEO Richard Harrington, “it does not fit with our long-term strategic vision”. Thomson has said that it is $ 5 billion. Thomson Learning was bought by a private equity consortium consisting of Apax Partners and OMERS Capital Partners for $ 7.75 billion and the name was changed from Thomson Learning to Cengage Learning on July 24, 2007. 
Patrick C. Sommers Was president of Gale from October 22, 2007,  up to he retired in 2010.
Gale produces hundreds of products, such as Academic OneFile,  Biography and Genealogy Master Index ,  General OneFile, General Reference Center, Sabin Americana (based on Sabin’s Bibliotheca Americana ), and World History Collection. 
Gale print imprints include the reference brands Primary Source Media, Scholarly Resources Inc. , The Schirmer Reference , St. James Press, The TAFT Group and Twayne Publishers, among others. Five Star Publishing is Gale’s fiction imprint, with hundreds of books in Western print, Romance, Mystery and Science Fiction & Fantasy genres. Gale also sells in the K-12 market with several imprints, including U · X · L, Greenhaven Press , KidHaven Press, Lucent Books, and others.  Gale also owns large print publishers Christian Large Print and Wheeler Publishing.
- AccessMyLibrary – web access to Gale databases for public libraries
- Contemporary Authors published by Gale
- Dictionary of Literary Biography published by Gale
- Encyclopaedia Judaica published by Gale
- Encyclopedia of Associations published by Gale
- HighBeam Research owned by Gale
- New Catholic Encyclopedia published by Gale
- Questia Online Library by Gale
- Jump up^ Gale – Helping Libraries Prepare for the 21st Century – inforum.cz – Retrieved February 23, 2009
- Jump up^ McCracken, Jeffrey. “Gale Research to merge.” (Merger between Gale Research Co. and The Thompson Group). Crain’s Detroit Business. Crain Communications, Inc. September 21, 1998. Retrieved February 23, 2009 from HighBeam Research:http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-21199527.html
- Jump up^ “Thomson Gale Part of Larger Sale”by Norman Oder, Library Journal , June 1, 2007
- Jump up^ Cengage Learning Names Patrick C. Sommers President of Gale
- Jump up^ “Databases: Academic OneFile” . Austin TX: University of Texas Libraries. Archived from the original on October 10, 2014.
- Jump up^ “eReviews: Biography: Biography and Genealogy Master Index” , Library Journal , April 15, 2012,
BGMI is a throwback to another era
- Jump up^ Cengage Learning. “Database Title Lists” . Gale: Title Lists . Retrieved October 10, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Scabies” . Retrieved 6 February 2013 .